Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mehane Yehuda, otherwise known as The Shuk, is the largest market in Jerusalem.  We went there on Sunday and it was fabulous!  I likely wouldn't think it was so wonderful if we'd gone on a Thursday or Friday morning since it's packed on those days, but Sunday was a good day for our first time.  We had a tour first, from a longtime resident of Jerusalem.  She gave us all the tricks and tips of finding the best deals, introducing us to her favorite vendors, and showing us her favorite restaurants.  It is going to be a lot of fun to explore this place!


The produce was beautiful. The strawberries, artichokes, cherry tomatoes and garlic seemed to be the the most plentiful items available. 



Spices, spices!  Any spice in the world can be found somewhere in this market!  And all the nuts, dried fruits, sweets, etc.  
I almost started this post with, "This little piggy went to the market"!  But, as this was pretty much a kosher market, the "little piggy" was nowhere to be found!!!  There was plenty of fish, chicken, beef and lamb, though, so no worries.  
We had a nice little snack at a cafe'....toast triangles with warm camembert, nuts, and honey and a small salad.  YUM.

Something I didn't get a picture of, cause I couldn't get my camera out fast enough was a bike- sized tricycle riding thru the shuk with a robot-looking device sitting on a platform between the back 2 wheels.  It was GOOGLE MAPS!  They were filming the shuk for their "street view" application!



We finally have the internet up and running in our apartment, and I have a few more photos I'm going to post in the next day or so.  But, I would like to post 2 photos today, that are for "reader participation"!  Have fun guessing what they are, and please post your answers.....Hint:  they're both things I had to figure out for myself.  Answer in the next post!


6 comments:

  1. I am hungry just looking at all of that food! Just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You temptress, you! When are you having us all over for lunch?
    Is the first picture some sort of push buttons on a device? And is the second picture a bag of flour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the pushbuttons on a toilet? The bag looks like flour or potatoes but maybe it's another type of grain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are the pushbuttons on a car? My second guess is a keypad to enter a ladies' room. I agree with Loomlady and think the bag is some type of grain. Looks like you are having a great time! Would LOVE to be able to shop that market!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I thought the buttons had something to do with the bathroom but my guess is that it has something to do with the front door/gate and the sack has a picture of grain so I'm going with flour. Love the pics. I'm sure you'll love the fresh fruits and veggies. Keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, I am guessing your blinds for the keypad? Or else your electrical switches or plugs?

    ReplyDelete