Saturday, October 20, 2012

Blog Drought is Over!!

Hello everyone!   I know, I've been gone a long time.  But, I have so many pictures to show you, I thought I better get my act together and get moving!!!

I will start with today and work backwards.

Denny and I love the Old City of Jerusalem.  We go there every week and wander around, meeting shopkeepers,  trying restaurants, and having fun bargaining.

  The Old City is divided into four quarters: Christian, Muslim, Jewish, and Armenian.  We seem to spend most of our time in the Christian and Armenian quarters, so today we decided it was time to wander the streets of the Muslim Quarter.  I just love the smells and sites of this quarter.  Coffee, spices, and incense scents waft through the air.

We wandered down the Via Dolorosa, packed with tour groups following the stations of the cross until we intersected with the main street of the Muslim Quarter.  Heading up to Damascus Gate there is lots to see!
Tour group stopped at the 7th Station of the Cross.

They make all kinds of brooms.

Heading towards Damascus Gate in the Souk.



Entrance

We came to the Austrian Hospice and weren't sure which door to go into, as we wanted to get a cold drink and some strudel!  A little man took us thru the door, up many steps, into a beautiful building and to the elevator.


We saw the sign for the restaurant, which he ignored.  I asked where he was taking us.  "To the roof!" he said, pointing to my camera. "You can see all of the Old City and take many pictures".  We got off the elevator, and up more steps, and stepped onto the roof.  WOW!  What a spectacular site. I posted some of these on my Facebook page, so those friends will have to look at them again.
Panorama view


Church of the Redeemer spire (ELCA Lutheran Church)
Dome of the Rock mosque in background, St. Veronica church in foreground.
Church of the Redeemer in back





Small dome on left is the Coptic Patriarchate, the larger dome on the right is the Church of the Holy Seplechre.
After we finished on the roof, we had our mid-morning snack and enjoyed the pleasant surroundings.



.






.After doing our veggie shopping in the souk, we headed back towards the Christian Quarter and the Jaffa Gate. We saw this rug with camels (Fred and his extended family) on the border!  Pretty neat...but we didn't buy it!!






Lots of interesting t-shirts on offer.



 I had to stop in the spice shop for pictures...the pyramid of spices was just beautiful!



This young man was getting me a fruit and nut/spice mixture to be added to rice.

A pyramid of spice with little wedges scooped out that other spices were laid on.  Notice a model of the Dome of the Rock sitting on the point!





I will try to blog everyday until I get caught up......so please keep checking back!  Remember to "click" on the pictures so you can see them enlarged.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment