Monday, April 30, 2012

The Bird

This morning started out very loudly.  The ruckus was tremendous!  I hurried out of the bedroom, down the hall and into the studio.  The blind was down, so I couldn't see what was going on, but the cacophony of the crows told me there were LOTS of them on my back balcony! When the blind went up, I could see my balcony covered with crows.  They were scared off by the blind and by me shaking the handle of the door.  Left behind was this.

I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew it wasn't a crow!  Denny took a peek and said it was a hawk of some kind.  When I opened the door, it scared it and it tried to get away, but couldn't because he/she was injured.  So, I went down to get the concierge to see what we could do with her/him.

He seemed to know a lot about birds, and knew right away that it wasn't a hawk.  He said it was a falcon and that it should be in the Negev, not in Jerusalem.  He called the equivalent to the SPCA and they came to rescue it.  The head concierge said it was some sort of a small eagle.  So, whatever it was, it knew to take refuge on my balcony...otherwise he/she would have been killed and eaten by those awful crows!

I have been doing some "googling" to try to find out what species it is, but, so far no luck.  The poor quality of the pictures doesn't help.  I had to take them from inside because he was so scared.  Here are a couple more pics, one from the back with wings spread.  If any of you are knowledgeable about birds, maybe you can figure this out!



2 comments:

  1. Not everyone can say they rescued a falcon in Jerusalem!! Way to go Beck! He doesn't know how lucky he/she was to have landed on YOUR balcony! c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can tell you that it's definitely a bird based on the feather bits. Other than that, you're on your own. Lovely experience and lucky for you both.

    ReplyDelete